Saturday, June 11, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal - June 11


In my life this week... 

We did a few fun things this week. My 11-year-old and I volunteered at an organization called "My Stuff Bags" where we helped stuff duffel bags for children going into foster care. It was a great opportunity for us to serve. Another fun thing we did with all the kids was to go blueberry and raspberry picking (Yum!).

In our homeschool this week…

My preschooler and I started lapbooking a letter & book of the week. This week was "A" is for Abbey. Abbey coincided with the book A Good Day for Abbey. This was a lot of fun and we're looking forward to continuing this throughout the year. 

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We do a weekly dating co-op with another close family. We alternate weeks where they watch the kids or we watch the kids and the other couple gets to go on a date. Date nights are very special to us and important for our marriages. Well, we were out of town a lot in May, so we haven't had our co-op in a few weeks. Last night we babysat our friends' kids, and all the kids were just so happy to be together. I don't know who enjoys date night more...the kids or the parents.

My favorite thing this week was…

Watching Bode get into our new preschool activities was definitely a joy.

What’s working/not working for us…

Working...preschool with Bode. Not working...starting our mornings too late. Now that we're on summer schedule, I still need to figure out the best way for the boys and I to spend our time (and still get a little school work done in there).

Things I’m working on…

We stared our garden project this week. Right now we're in the grass and weed removal stage, so it's not very exciting. But we have a vision for how we'd like our garden to eventually look, so we need to persevere.

I’m reading…

In addition to my Bible, I'm having some fun reading. I finished The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. Now I'm waiting for my 11-year-old to finish it so we can have a little book discussion. I started Divergent by Veronica Roth.

A photo to share…

2 comments:

  1. We have been starting late as well and it hasn't been the best thing. School is supposed to start at 8:30. I haven't been able to fall asleep until 2 or 3am and that doesn't help. I'm going to look into the books you are reading. I LOVE to read!! How long have you done book discussions with you 11 y/o?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE berry picking! Strawberries start in about 2 weeks...and blueberries in late July or early August. We've almost eaten all the berries we picked from last season! What a great thing - those duffel bags! Stopping by from THMJ!

    Jessy

    ReplyDelete