Friday, July 29, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal, July 29

The Homeschool Mother's Journal 

In my life this week…

We found out this week that my grandmother has lung cancer. She is in the process of being staged and she and the doctors will be deciding on her treatment in the next week or so. Last week my father-in-law started radiation therapy for his prostate cancer. This is not our first experience with cancer, but the kids are older so they are starting to understand it a bit better. The older ones vaguely remember when my mom went through her treatment.

In our homeschool this week…

We will be changing things up in our schooling this year and switching to a more Charlotte Mason style of teaching/learning. I'm actually very excited. A friend of mine has been using this style with her six kids, and she has been sharing her nuggets of wisdom with me. I've been researching and ordering some great books and am very excited to try this more gentle approach with the boys.

I am inspired by…

My friend and the amazing way she teaches her six kids. Here's her blog.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Outside of visiting my grandmother in the hospital, we also attended a magician show at the library (gotta love free shows), and had a great playdate with my friend's kids while I got to browse her wonderful library and be inspired by her curriculum.

What’s working/not working for us…

Last year was a bit crazy in the homeschool department. Too much time away from home, too many co-ops. I'm looking forward to trying a Charlotte Mason approach this year.

I’m reading…

In my Bible: book of Judges
Finished (last 2 weeks): Forever by Maggie Stiefvater
                                       Delirium by Lauren Oliver
                                       Ballad by Maggie Steifvater
Reading: Standing on the Promises: A Handbook of Biblical Childrearing
Starting: Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

I’m praying for…
My grandmother and my father-in-law.

A photo to share…

Our beach trip last week to Leo Carrillo Beach:

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of the battles with cancer. My family is particularly prone to it. My grandmother, dad, mother, me.. uncles and aunts. It's a tough one for sure!

    Glad to hear you're trying out Charlotte Mason! We've used it for 2 years now. We're in Year 3. I love it and so do my daughters! I'll have to check back and see the progress!

    Stopping by from the HMJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very sweet, I've enjoyed sharing my journey with you. Plus, you're boys are just so cute!

    I will be praying for your grandmother and the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete