Monday, August 15, 2011

Our School Plan: First Term, Science

So I've decided to try and go with a more Charlotte Mason approach this year for school. I'm still trying to get it all organized. Between looking for the right books, creating a schedule, organizing supplies and books, and just trying to stay on top of the other household duties, there's still a lot to do. But I needed to feel like I'm accomplishing something, so I've prepared Ian and Cole's Science plan for the first term.

They will be reading books (or chapters) on their own each week. During the week, they will do an oral narration, a copywork sheet, and a written narration including a drawing. I put together small folders for each of them with their copywork and written narration pages already prepared for the term. The goal with this planning is for them to be able to accomplish their learning in 20-30 minute short lessons (as Charlotte Mason suggested). The oral and written narration will hopefully reinforce what they're learning. At the end of the term, I'll have my eldest son write a report/essay summarizing what he learned from his book.

Here's the book lists we'll use for the first term. All the books may not be "living books," but I've reviewed them and most of them provide a narrative style that I think will help the boys. As you will see, Ian will be focusing on only a few topics this year while Cole will be touching on multiple topics.

6th Grade:
All About The Atom by Ira M. Freeman
(read approximately one chapter per week)

3rd Grade:
The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor by Joanna Cole
Dolphin Talk by Wendy Pfeffer
Whales by Deborah Hodge
Sharks by Anne Schreiber
Why Frogs Are Wet by Judy Hawes
Look Out for Turtles by Melvin Berger
Snakes Are Hunters by Patricia Lauber
Ducks Don't Get Wet by Augusta Goldin
Gulls, Gulls, Gulls by Gail Gibbons
How Do Birds Find Their Way? by Roma Gans
Zipping, Zapping, Zooming Bats by Ann Earle
Who Eats What? by Patricia Lauber
The Magic School Bus Hops Home by Joanna Cole
(read approximately one book a week)

We will also be studying chemistry as a group, including labs. We will be using Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry. At this point I plan on doing it once a week, every other week. Once I'm comfortable with our new schedule, I'll be able to adjust the frequency of our chemistry time to perhaps every week. But at this point I'm trying not to overwhelm myself (oh wait...too late, lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment